For more information:
Call (601) 428-1707
DOMESTIC ABUSE FAMILY SHELTER, INC.
VOLUNTEER JOB DESCRIPTIONS
- General Office Work- This involves filing, copying, typing, keeping forms stocked, writing thank you notes, and basic office errands.
- Leisure time/Activities- This involves planning, organizing and implementing fun/educational activities for shelter residents.
- Shopping- This would be done on a weekly basis and would involve keeping track of what supplies are necessary (food and household) so that the shelter stays properly stocked.
- Newsletter- This includes the writing, typing, copying and mailing out the newsletter.
- Daycare- This would involve helping with childcare. Childcare hours are Monday through Friday from 8 to 3.
- Maintenance- This involves someone with skills willing to donate their time to help keep the shelter in good repair.
- Clothing- This involves locating and picking up donations of women and children’s clothing as well as keeping the emergency clothes closet sorted.
- Soliciting Donations- This includes helping pull together the necessary items for a woman to furnish the apartment and start independent living.
- Transportation- This includes helping to pick up women in outlying counties and transport them to them to the shelter, helping women to get to school, work, AA/Alanon meetings, etc. while they are in the shelter.
- Community Outreach- This job entails promoting the shelter within the eleven counties of service by distributing brochures, handling media contacts, recruiting other volunteers, speaking engagements, and etc.
- Telephone Crisis Counselor/referral and information workers- This would be day, night, or weekends probably a four hour shift at the shelter answering the telephone crisis line and following through with admittance. Additional training is required for this position
Help DAFS support and shelter families who are victims of domestic abuse.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Domestic Abuse Shelter, please print and fill out this application and mail to:
Domestic Abuse Family Shelter
P O Box 273
Laurel, MS 39441